Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Tripod Sighting

We kept Tripod through this last weekend because my nieces and my nephew wanted to meet him before we set him free. They all had a turn to pet him and they all loved him. I'm not sure he'd say the same about them or any other human, but he handled the situation very well for a wild bunny. This is Tripod and my niece, Rachel. Curtis and I took him out to the corner of our back yard where he was originally found to set him free around 7:30 PM on Sunday evening. I think Curtis went just to humor me, but it was nice of him to go. I had become quite attached to Tripod, so it was hard to see him hopping away. He flopped around for a bit while he figured out how to use his bad leg. It wasn't long, though, before he started heading north along the fence line. I said goodbye to him knowing I probably wouldn't see him again. After he was on his way, I filled his little bowl with some rabbit food and set it in the corner of the back yard in case he came back. On Monday none of the food was gone. On Tuesday all the food was still there and had gotten wet, so I picked the bowl up to take it back to the house and clean it. As I stood up, I noticed two little beady eyes staring back at me from inside the shrubs. It was, indeed, a bunny about the size of Tripod. It was facing me and I couldn't see his back feet to tell if it was Tripod. He was only about three feet from me, so I moved a little closer to him. When I was about a foot from him, he hopped once and I could tell immediately that it was, in fact, my little Tripod. I took his food bowl back to the house and cleaned it before filling it with old-fashioned oats. I took the bowl back out to him and he began eating right away. When Curtis got home I was beside myself with excitement so I made him go out to see Tripod, too. I don't think he was quite as excited as I was but, again, I'm glad he ACTED like he cared. Today, as soon as I got home from work, I headed out to the back corner of the yard. Tripod's little bowl was empty and he was sitting not too far from it so I filled it with oats again. I think he's going to do just fine if he can avoid the neighborhood dogs. It's SO neat that's he's hung around after being set free.
We had a WONDERFUL 4th of July weekend. We didn't celebrate the 4th as much as we celebrated family, friends, and Curt's 40th birthday. Curt's parents and his sister and her family arrived on Friday morning. We all spent the day together and then went out to dinner with our friends, Linda and Mary. Everyone came back to the house after dinner. The kids all got scooter rides, while the adults enjoyed visiting. On Saturday, Curtis went to work, so Nicole, Alice, and I spent the day preparing for his birthday party that evening. We decorated the front yard and the back patio with "40th birthday" decorations. I think we had 20 people, total, and everyone just had the best time. In addition to Curt's family, my parents and my brother, Derek, and his family were here. Momma Sue was also here, as well as our friends, Linda and Mary. We grilled hamburgers and hot dogs and everyone brought at least one side dish, so we had TONS of food. I had planned a game of "water balloon volleyball", which turned out to be a hoot. Hopefully, everyone who wanted to play had a chance to do so. On Sunday, we went to church and then went out for lunch at a local Chinese restaurant. Curt's family left to start their trip home around 4:30 PM. Curtis and I spent the rest of the day, putting things back in order, doing laundry, cleaning out the fridge... all the regular Sunday evening chores. It was a great weekend!! Here is a link to pictures that were taken. These photos were a joint effort by me and Nicole.
Hope you had a wonderful holiday, too! Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment