Sunday, September 9, 2007

Things I Learned Today

The 70-ish mile ride that was to be held yesterday was postponed due to rain. It was postponed until this morning at 8 am. I toughed out the entire 74-point-something miles and I'm sure I'm a better person for it. I am also sure that I won't really believe that until the soreness and the tightness are worked out and I've had a good 8 hours of sleep. The ride today is, supposedly, much more hilly than the MS150. Now I know that I am quite capable of finishing at least half of the ride. With a good night's sleep and a hot meal at the end of the first day, I think I'll do okay on day two, as well.

Here is SOME of what I learned today...

  • MOST grasshoppers are not fast enough to avoid a bicycle tire. Let me explain. I've had a fear of most buglike creatures, grasshoppers being one of those. I know it's a silly fear - grasshoppers won't hurt me. BUT... they have those rough, hairy legs and big, buggy eyes and they spit their chewing tobacco on you if given the chance. SSSSOOOO... I aimed at them, when I saw them on the road, with my bicycle tires today. They're rather crunchy.
  • A dead skunk's scent FAR outlasts the flesh. I would have never believed it, but I smelled it before I saw it. There was nothing left but bones, fur, and stink.
  • This isn't really something I learned, but something I experienced for the first time. At one point during our ride, we drove down a farm road that had corn fields growing right up next to the road on both sides. The stalks had all dried up and were brown. I had heard of the "rustling" sound when the wind blows through the corn stalks, but had never heard it with my own two ears. I LOVE that sound!
  • Not all dogs are friendly. I didn't try to pet him, or anything, as he was running at breakneck speed with his fangs near my ankle, but I didn't know I was capable of accelerating that fast up a hill after I'd already ridden 50 miles. Think I'll get some pepper spray.
That's about all I can think of right now. I'm sure I learned other interesting things, too, but I'm too pooped to remember what they were. I made a new card last night that's pretty nifty, but I'm too tired to take any pictures and upload them. I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow. I'm planning on a short ride tomorrow - only 20 to 25 miles. That one should be a breath of fresh air after today's ride!! TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment